A new OTA update is now available for Google Nexus 4. The new update is Android 4.3 Jelly Bean JWR66V firmware. Today, during a step by step guide we will teach you how manually update the Nexus 4 device with the latest JWR66V OTA firmware.
This is a step by step tutorial destined for advanced Android users, and if you don’t have enough experience in manually flashing procedures then is better to don’t try it you can easily brick your device.
In this tutorial, you will learn how successfully install the new official JWR66V Jelly Bean 4.3 OTA Update for Nexus 4 device without a root supplementary process.
Also is especially made to avoid losing any data from the Nexus 4 device in the flashing process.
Before beginning the flash process make sure that you’ll first understood and apply all the steps presented below. First some prerequisites are necessary in order to prepare the Nexus 4 device for the installation process.
Also, we will present you two different methods to update the Nexus 4 device with the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean JWR66V firmware.
The first method is dedicated to installing the latest update for a Nexus 4 device which is running on a full stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 firmware version, and the second one method can be used for the Nexus 4 devices which cannot use the first one method or is running any different custom ROM.
More about what you need to know about these two methods and the prerequisites required for the installation can be found in the preparation guide and in the following two step by step methods below:
- All the instructions and information from this post are working only with Google Nexus 4 device. So, knowing this do not try to install the files you find in this post n any other incorrect Android device, you can easily brick it.
- Now, download from here Android SDK and install it on your PC.
- Next, enable the USB Debugging option from the Nexus 4 device’s Developer Options,
- (In case the menu isn’t there and it is hidden, open Settings>About Phone, then scroll down to Build Number and there press 7 times on this area.
- Backup all your data stored into device’s internal memory as a precaution in case something goes wrong.
- Verify the Nexus 4 battery power levels and charge it to have more than 60% power left.
- Note that, all the information and instructions listed in this article are provided only for educational and instructional purposing, so we cannot be responsible or held liable in case you will lose any data, something goes wrong and brick the device during or after the installation process.
- Use these instructions only in your own risk and apply the same only if you’re an advanced Android user.
- Make sure you won’t skip any steps from this article.
I think these are all prerequisites required before to move to the first below section where you can learn how to install the new firmware update on the Nexus 4 device.
How to install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean JWR66V OTA Update firmware on Google Nexus 4 using adb sideload method:
Important: this method only works if the Nexus 4 device has installed a stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 ROM. So, knowing that do not use the same for any other custom ROM which is running on the Nexus 4 device, for any other custom ROM use the second below method.
- First, download the JWR66V Android 4.3 OTA firmware file from here.
- Now, rename the downloaded JWR66V zip file to ‘update.zip’ before to continue forward.
- Copy the renamed update.zip file to the folder where you have the ‘adb’. (The adb folder is created automatically by the Android SDK previous inhalation.
- Now, turn of the Nexus 4 device.
- Boot it into Bootloader / Fastboot mode. (To do this press and keep holding the Volume UP, Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneous, when the Bootloader menu is displayed release buttons.
- Press volume UP button until the Recovery Mode is displayed and then press Power button to boot the Nexus 4 device into Recovery Mode. (An Android robot icon will appear and Press and keep holding the Power button, after that press once Volume Up button and the Recovery Mode will be displayed.)
- Now from the Recovery Menu, select the ‘apply update from adb’ option.
- Next, connect the Nexus 4 device with your PC.
- From your Windows based PC, launch a CMD (Command Prompt) window. Make sure that the CMD window is opened directly on the path where you place the ‘update.zip’ file.
- Now, enter the next command line for installing the OTA firmware file: adb sideload update.zip
- Now the flashing of Android 4.3 JWR66V firmware will start for the Nexus 4 device.
- After the firmware file is installed successfully, the Nexus 4 device will get an automatically reboot and will enter into normal mode running the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware.
In case the above method didn’t work then you can try the next second one method listed below; also you can use our comment section for ask for help, or you can use our XDA Thread source from here, where you can find more information.
How to install Android 4.3 JB JWR66V Firmware OTA Update on Nexus 4:
Important: This method will install or update the kernel (boot.img), bootloader, radio, system image of the new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean JWR66V firmware for Nexus 4 device.
- This method doesn’t wipe any data in the process. So, do not skip any steps listed below:
- Firstly, download Android 4.3 JWR66V stock file from here.
- Secondly, extract the downloaded file and save all its content into a single folder to the PC. (Make sure that you extract all the files within the tgz file included and after that copy them all into a single folder in your PC)
- Turn off the Nexus 4 device.
- Boot it into Bootloader Mode. (Like as in step 5 from the first method).
- Now, connect the Nexus 4 device to the PC using the USB cable.
- Launch a CMD (Command Prompt) window in the same location where you’ve unzipped the files and are located.
- Next, install the OTA Update file using the following command lines:
> adb reboot-bootloader
> fastboot flash bootloader bootloader*.img -> the ‘bootloader*’ have to be changes on the name of the bootloader image you downloaded previously.
> fastboot reboot-bootloader
> fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.84.img
> fastboot reboot-bootloader
> fastboot flash system system.img
> fastboot flash boot boot.img
> fastboot format cache
> fastboot reboot
- These were all steps which should to be proceeded in order to successfully install the latest Android 4.3 JB JWR66V firmware OTA Update on the Nexus 4 device.
- Note: the first boot after the reboot with the new stock ROM will require more time as usually to load all the required installed files.
Congratulation, these were all the steps and prerequisites necessary in order to install the latest official Android 4.3 JWR66V Jelly Bean OTA factory Image.
Please use our comment section for any issues you have, or you can use the info listed in the our source XDA thread from here.