Update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 LTE to Official XXUFNB8 Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Today, we will show you how easily install the latest official XXUFNB8 Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware on Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505 LTE) by using a manual step by step procedure.
This new official Android 4.4.2 KK firmware (XXUFNB8) has been released as an official OTA update for the LTE version of Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505 device.
This guide should be used by advanced Android users who want to install this update by using a manual method.
The present step by step instructional guide is provided only for educational or instructional purpose, and you won’t blame us in case you damage or brick your device during or after apply this guide.
This step by step guide and all files work only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505. Do not use this post with any other incorrect devices; you can easily brick your device.
This step by step guide doesn’t work with the US version of Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE device.
Verify the model number of your device by navigating on About Device menu, and there you need to find the “I9505” code. In other case this step by step guide doesn’t work, it isn’t destined to be used with your device.
Now, you need to download and install the suitable USB drivers for your device. Download the USB drivers from here.
Uninstall stop or disable the security programs that are running on your PC. (Antivirus, firewalls, antimalware, etc).
Now, disable or uninstall the Samsung Kies application. The Kies application will enter in conflict with ODIN application that we will use for installing the new official Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS for Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE.
Next enable the USB Debugging mode from Developer Option menu. Note that if the Developer Option isn’t listed there you need to open the About Device section and to tap seven times on the Build Number text area and with this action you’ll make to be visible the Developer Options menu in Settings.
Remove the external SD card from the Galaxy S4 device before to start the installation of the new official ROM. This action is required if you don’t risk losing any data files that are stored on your device.
If the Android device has installed a custom ROM, then you need to know that the new Android 4.4.2 OS will erase all the data stored into device’s internal memory.
Note: if the device has a custom recovery image installed on it this will be replaced by a stock Recovery image too.
Backup all your data stored on your device’s internal memory, you can backup data from installed application; we have a step by step guide about how to use the Helium Application to do this. Also, backup your contacts, all calls history, SMS and MMS and all the data that you know is important for you.
Ensure that the device’s battery charge level has more than 65 % power left before beginning the update process.
I think these are all prerequisites that are required to be followed before to move to the next section where you’ll learn how manually install the official Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 KK OTA Update for Galaxy S4 LTE
Update Galaxy S4 LTE with Official Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 KK OTA firmware:
- Firstly, you need to download the official Android 4.4.2 I9505XXUFNB8 OTA zip file from one of the next links: here, here or here.
- Secondly, after the download is done you need to extract the downloaded zip file and to save the .tar.md5 file on the computer’s desktop folder.
- Now, download the ODIN application version v3.09 from here and extract it on the PC.
- Power off the device completely.
- Boot the device into Android Download Mode; you can do this by using our guide from here.
- Now, open the ODIN application on your PC.
- Connect the device with your PC by using the original USB cable of the S4 device.
- Now, Odin should recognize the S4 device, if the Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 device in not recognized by the ODIN you need to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- When the Odin recognized the S4 device, you can continue with the next step
- From the Odin main menu click the AP button.
- Browse for the I9505XXUFNB8 tar.md5 file in Odin and load it.
- Now, be sure that you do not make any other default settings, just verify and make sure that the Re-Partition box rest unchecked.
- Now, press on the START button from ODIN for beginning the installation process.
- The flashing process might take some time before to be complete, so you should be calm and shouldn’t press any other button until the installation process isn’t done.
- Next, when the PASS message is displayed by ODIN the update process of Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 KitKat firmware is completed.
- The device will take an automatically reboot.
- Now, when the Samsung Galaxy S4 boot animation screen is displayed you can remove the USB cable from the PC to disconnect the device from the computer.
- The new official update is completely installed on your device, and you can take the control over your device when the home screen is displayed.
These where all you should know about how manually install the Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA Update on the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 LTE device.
- If the ODIN application fails to install the new official firmware, then you need to repeat all the steps once again in order to complete the step by step guide but now be sure that you won’t skip any steps from the entire tutorial.
- If ODIN shows you that the new firmware was successfully installed, but the Galaxy S4 device cannot boot into normal mode, then you need to apply the next lines in order to force the device to boot. Note that, for the next steps, you have to use the stock Recovery Mode and the Factory Reset options, these options will delete all your data stored on the system partition of the device.
Here’s how to apply Factory Reset from the Stock Recovery Mode:
- Turn off your device by removing its battery.
- Next, wait 5 seconds and reinsert the device’s battery.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE device in Android Recovery Mode. You can use our tutorial from here.
- Now, from the main Recovery Mode menu select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- Next, confirm the process and reboot the devices when the installation process is done.
- The device should boot into Normal Mode.
- Insert your Google Account information in order to have all the control on your device.
Congratulation, these were all the steps in order to successfully install the Android 4.4.2 XXUFNB8 firmware on Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 device.