Samsung is pushing Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update to its A700H Samsung Galaxy A7 devices to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, but the new update in reaching the devices in stages, and not all users will get it simultaneously.
If you don’t want to wait for the OTA Android Marshmallow update to be available for your A700H Samsung Galaxy A7, and you are used to flashing manually new updates using the ODIN app, you can follow the below tutorial.
You can also flash the official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update using the Odin app in you run a custom ROM. If you run a rooted Android firmware, flash the new update too, but the root access will be lost in the process.
Any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your device is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
Check the following prerequisites, in order to see if your device is supported by the updating process:
- Your smartphone is a SM-A700H Galaxy A7 2015 edition. To check its model, go to Settings -> About Phone section. Do not try to use this for other different Samsung A7 models.
- Download from here the Samsung USB Drivers and install them on your PC.
- In order to complete the Android 6.0.1 update using the ODIN app,requires to have the USB drivers installed on your PC and to enable the USB Debugging from the Developer Options section in your smartphone.
- The Developer Option can be hidden, go to Settings-> About Phone and by tapping seven times on the Build Number, it will be shown.
- Once you see the Developer Options, find the USB Debugging option and enable it.
- If you want to install this update over a custom ROM, you have to Factory Reset your device in the installation process. The Factory Reset has to be applied, after the installation of the official update.
- Factory Resetting will wipe clean the system partition and the custom ROM will be completely removed. But you won’t lose any data from the internal storage.
- If your Samsung Galaxy A7 is running a 100% stock Android firmware, you can continue straight to the tutorial.
Disclaimer: This tutorial is aimed for the advanced users and we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone or you lose any data in the process, so read carefully the entire article and if you are suitable to apply this tutorial, don’t skip any step.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update on SM-A700H2015 Galaxy A7
- Download from here the Android 6.0.1 A700HXXU1CPH2 on your PC, unzip the content and save it on your PC. You will a tar.md5 archive.
- Download from hereOdin 3.10.7 zip archive, unzip the content and save it on your PC.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot your SM-A700H Galaxy A7device in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at once until a warning screen loads on your device. To confirm Download Mode boot, press the Volume Up button.
- Launch the Odin 3.10.7 app.
- Using a USB cable, connect the smartphone to PC and wait for Odin to add it. (If the smartphone is not detected, try to reinstall Samsung USB drivers one more time).
- Go back to ODIN, click the AP button and find the A700HXXU1CPH2 tar.md5 update file and load it in ODIN.
- Press on START, to begin the update of your Samsung device. Wait until the new files are flashed, don’t press any other buttons.
- After the installation of Android 6.0.1 is over, see the PASS alert shown by ODIN and your phone should reboot in normal mode. This indicates a successful installation. The first boot of the new firmware will take a while before loading all the new files.
- Unplug your smartphone from the PC and use the your default login info in order to regain the control over your smartphone.
If ODIN shows the PASS alert, but the smartphone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, repeat the process described above, Factory Reset the device’s system partition, to boot in normal mode.
If the FAIL alert or other errors are shown by ODIN, repeat the whole process one more time.