Google started the over the air roll out update to Android 7.1.1 Nougat the Nexus 6 devices, but not all Nexus 6 users are getting it at the same time.
If you don’t want to wait for the OTA update to become available on your device and want to learn how to manually install the Android 7.1.1 Nougat OS for your Nexus 6 phone, check the guide from this post. This guide teaches you how to manually flash the new update via the ADB Sideload command.
Before starting the flashing process read the following guidelines:
- This tutorial is only for the Google Nexus phones. So, don’t try to update other devices using the files provided in this post.
- Use this tutorial only if you are used to this procedures because we cannot be blamed if you brick your phone or if lose data in the process.
- You can install the official Android 7.1.1 Nougat update using ADB Sideload only if your Nexus 6 phone is running 100% stock Android OS. So, make sure that your device is not running a custom ROM or its firmware is modified in any way.
- Enable Developer Options on your phone, for that go to Settings-> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number. Then from Developer Options, enable the USB Debugging option and the OEM Unlock.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged, to avoid the shutdown in-between the flashing process.
- Make sure that you don’t skip any steps from this guide.
How to Install the Android 7.1.1 Nougat official OTA Update for Nexus 6 Device Using ADB Sideload
1. First you setup the ADB and Fastboot Binaries on your computer. For that, follow the next steps:
- Download from here the Platform-Tools zip for Windows, from here for Mac OS, or from here for Linux systems.
- Extract the contents and then create a Platform-Tools folder.
- Download from here the Google USB Drivers and then install it on your computer.
2. On your computer, download from here the Android 7.1.1 N6F26Q OTA image file.
3. Once the download complete, rename the file to “update.zip”
4. Place the “update.zip” file in the Platform-Tools folder configured above.
5. Switch off the Nexus phone and then boot it into Recovery Mode.
6. From Recovery, select the “apply update from ADB” option.
7. Connect your Google Nexus 6 device with your computer and verify that it was detected by the computer.
8. Go to the Platform-tools folder to open a command prompt. Verify that the command prompt/ terminal window address is set to “platform-tools” directory.
9. Start the installation of Android 7.1.1 update by entering the “ADB sideload update.zip” command in the terminal/ Windows CMD window and confirm the installation process.
10. When the update finishes, reboot the Google Nexus 6 in normal mode.
11. Unplug the device from the computer, and then use your default login info in order to gain control over it.
These were all the steps to follow in order to complete the Android 7.1.1 Nougat update for your Google Nexus 6 device.