The Huawei P9 Plus smartphone remains locked with the usual factory restrictions even it has received the official Android Nougat update. On a stock Android recovery environment, users don’t have access to customize and optimize their smartphones as they please.
The advanced users who want to unleash the full potential of theirHuawei P9 Plus device should tweak the Android core system for that. The first step in the tweaking process is the installation of a custom recovery. The result will be to remove the default restrictions and gain extended right.
In this post, we will give you a tutorial through which you can learn how to install TWRP recovery on Huawei P9 Plus, the VIE-AL10model number.
The TWRP recovery in this post is compatible with the Huawei P9 Plus with the Android Nougat firmware. So, if you updated your phone to Android Nougat you can run this custom recovery image and start unlocking the default OS on your device.
The TWRP custom recovery image is a third party app and you can control the Android core center of an Android device and make possible to complete afterward tweaking process on your Huawei P9 Plus smartphone.
With the TWRP recovery installed, you will be able to perform custom operations such as acquire root access, installing custom ROMs and custom kernels, installing apps from any other source than Google Play, removing usual bloatware apps and start-up programs, adding new features that are not on the stock Android firmware and more.
Flashing the TWRP recovery and applying the above-mentioned processes, are unofficial operations that aren’t related with your OEM or with Google, so you should be aware that your Huawei P9 Plus warranty will be lost.
As a precautionary measure, you should complete a backup of your Huawei P9 Plus device if you want to resume the tutorial from below. Sync your data with the Google Account, use built-in cloud storage platforms or download backup and restore apps from Google Play, to complete the backup for your device.
The TWRP recovery can be installed on the Huawei P9 Plus by executing fast boot commands from a computer. So, make sure that you have your computer nearby and also install your phone’s drivers and flash the Android SDK toolkit on it.
On your Huawei P9 Plus, enable the Developer Options to gain the developer rights. For that, go to Menu->Settings->About Phone and tap repeatedly seven times on the Built Number until you receive the ‘’you are a developer’’ message. Then, enable the USB Debugging option from the Developer Options.
Check if the battery of your phone is charged before starting the TWRP recovery flashing process, to avoid that your smartphone switch off or get brick during the installation process.
Please note that this tutorial is only for the Huawei P9 Plus, VIE-AL10 model number devices, running on Android Nougat firmware.
How to Install TWRP Custom Recovery on Huawei P9 Plus
1. Download from this link the TWRP recovery file on your computer and place the .img file into the Android SDK folder. Rename the package into “recovery.img”.
2. Power on the Huawei P9 Plus device.
3. Connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable.
4. Open a command prompt window from the Android SDK folder by holding the Shift keyboard key and right clicking on any blank space in this folder.
5. Enter “ADB reboot bootloader”, in this command window.
6. Wait until fast boot mode is displayed on your Huawei P9 Plus.
7. Go back to command, type “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”. The flashing of custom recovery image will start.
8. When the flashing process is done, reboot recovery mode on your device.
9. If something goes wrong, from recovery make a wipe by selecting the ‘wipe cache partition’, ‘wipe Dalvik cache’ and wipe ‘data factory reset’ options.
10. Now you can access and use the TWRP recovery on the Huawei P9 Plus and you can start to perform various custom operations using it.