Sony Mobile has started the OTA update rollout of the official Android 7.0 Nougat on its Xperia devices and the X Performance and X Performance Dual owners are the first to experience the Nougat features.
As with all OTA updates, for now,this is available in select regions and will be soon available for devices in Asia,Latin America, Europe, and the United States.
The Android 7.0 Nougat update is currently rolling for the Xperia X Performance (F8131) and X Performance Dual (F8132) and comes with the firmware build number 39.2.A.0.327.
This firmware build is based on the stable Android 7.0 Nougat and includes the latest security enhancements, bug-fixes and improvements, a new and improved UI, performance upgrades and also new wallpapers, UX audio, notifications, ringtones and much more.
If you didn’t receive yet the official OTA Nougat update and you want to experience it right away on your Xperia X Performance device, you can follow the guide given below, but please read carefully all the instructions and make sure that you won’t skip any step.
Disclaimer: This guide is for advanced users only and Android Source team absolves itself from any responsibility if something goes wrong during the flashing process or if you lose data in the process. Please proceed carefully, and at your own risk.
Before starting the installation process please make sure the following prerequisites are met:
- Backup all your data as this will perform a clean firmware installation.
- This guide is for Sony Xperia X Performance devices, Single and DUAL SIM, F8131, F8132 models. Please check your device’s model and do not install on other devices.
- Ensure that the drivers for your Sony Xperia X Performance deviceare correctly installed on your computer before attempting to install the new software.
- The FTF firmware files need the specific Sony FlashTool to install.
- Make sure that your device’s battery is fully charged to avoid interruption during the installation process.
Releated article: How To Install Android Marshmallow Update On Xperia Devices Using Flashtool AndXperifirm
How to Install the Android 7.0 Nougat Xperia X via full FTF files
The stock official Android Nougat update files for Xperia X devices come in the form of FTF files with .ftf extension. Although Android devices receive OTA updates, the FTF files are required if your device is rooted or the system is heavily modified and the OTA update is not of much use.
In order to install the full firmware FTF files, download the files from below for your model number, variant and region:
- Xperia X Performance (F8131) 39.2.A.0.327 Russia Generic
- Xperia X Performance Dual (F8132) 39.2.A.0.327 Thailand Generic
Note: The above links are for mega download and the desktop users can directly download them, but the mobile users need Mega app to download these files.
- Install drivers for your Xperia X Performance device by installing the Sony PC Companion.
Connect your XperiaX Performance device to the computer, before starting the process, to download the necessary USB and ADB drivers. To do this, power off your device and then connect to your computer whilst holding the volume down button.
- Download and install Flashtool fromhere on your computer.
Install Flashtool drivers from ‘C:\Flashtool\drivers’ and tick the “Flashmode Drivers” + “Fastboot Drivers” to install.
- On your Sony Xperia device, enable “USB debugging” and “Unknown sources”
- Flash the FTF firmware file:
- Open Flashtool and click on the lightning bolt in the top left of Flashtool.
- Select “Flashmode” and then click “OK”
- Now you should be in the source folder where the FTF firmware files are located. If you are not, navigate to: “C:\Users\[Your PC Name]\.flashTool\firmwares” and select the firmware build version 2.A.0.327from the “Firmware” pane.
- To retain your apps, data and media, ensure that the “USERDATA” option within the “Wipe” pane is unticked.
- But when upgrading a new Android version, a clean install is the best way to go. For that, tick all options under the “Wipe” pane and this will wipe all of your data.
- Click “Flash” and Flashtool will indicate that it is “preparing files for flashing”.
- After around 60 seconds a pop-up will appear. Once it does, you should connect your Xperia device to your computer. Make sure the device is powered off and while connecting the USB cable, hold the ‘volume down’ button.
- When the pop-up disappears and the flashing process has started, you can let go of the ‘volume down’ button.
- Once you see “Flashing finished”, your Xperia device has been successfully flashed and you can disconnect your device and power on the handset.