Today, during a step by step instructional guide I will teach you an easy method to downgrade the Moto X device to stock Android Jelly Bean OS.
This method is necessary when you want to reinstall a stock firmware after you previously installed an unofficially OS and you don’t like it or the custom ROM didn’t work very well. Also, if the device was rooted and the warranty was been voided and now you want the warranty back this guide can be helpful. So, in order to resolve the issues, bugs, and other problems regarding with a custom firmware you’ll have to restore the device with an official (stock) Android Jelly Bean OS.
- This guide is compatible with all Moto X models (including AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Sprint, Rogers and Verizon).
- The guide doesn’t require having a rooted Moto X device.
- No need a custom recovery image installed on the smartphone.
- The guide works for both rooted and no rooted devices
- Don’t forget that this is a manually installation of firmware and that’s why is considered a complex and risked operation. So, knowing that, you have to be an advanced Android user and to be careful.
- All the instructions listed here are provided only for educational and instructional purposing, so we cannot be responsible or held liable for any data lost or if you’ll brick or damage your device during or after the tutorial. Apply this guide only in your own risk.
- Backup all your important data stored into Moto X device’s internal memory. Unfortunately, all your data stored into device’s internal memory will be wiped out.
- To get a full backup you can use suitable backup and restore applications from Google Play Store for saving all your important data.
- I you have an custom recovery image such as CWM or TWRP installed on the device then get a full Nandroid backup for your actual ROM.
- A windows PC, the Moto X device and the USB cord have to be near of you.
- Disable or uninstall the security protection programs such as Antivirus, Firewall, antimalware programs, from both PC and Android device. These kinds of programs can interfere with the flashing process and can interrupt the same.
- Enable the USB debugging option from “settings -> applications -> development.
- Ensure that the device’s battery is enough charged; you need to have in the device’s battery more than 70 % power left.
- On the PC install the Android SDK and set up ADB on MAC OS X or Linux.
- Download and install the Moto X drivers to the PC.
How to Downgrade or Restore Moto X to Stock (Official) Android Jelly Bean OS (compatible with all models)
- Firstly, download the RDSLite app from here and save it in the PC.
- Install the downloaded application.
- Now, download the stock Moto X Android firmware from here.
- Unzip the downloaded file on the PC.
- Now, open the created folder when you’ve extracted the above zip file.
- Right click on the file with .XML extension.
- Now from the right click menu, select “open with” followed by “Notepad”. ( you can use also any XML editor from your PC.
- Now, browse and find the following string and delete it: “step operation=”getvar” var=”max-download-size”.
- Now, save the file (CTRL+S) and close the notepad window.
- Next, open the RSDLite program on your PC.
- Connect the Moto X device with the PC by using the USB cord.
- Open a CMD (command prompt window) on the computer. (To do this open Start from your PC then RUN and then write CMD and press Enter.
- On the new opened CMD window type: adb reboot bootloader.
- The Moto X smartphone will be rebooted into fastboot mode.
- Now, from the RDSLite application, click on the three-dot browse file button and then select the .XML file.
- Next, click on “START” button.
- Wait until the flashing process is complete and do not press anything else.
- When the installation process is successfully done you can to disconnect the device from the PC, by removing the USB cable from PC.
- Next, reboot the Moto X device.
Congratulation, the MOTO X device has been restored to the stock (official) Android Jelly Bean firmware.
For any other supplementary questions regarding with this step by step guide, please don’t hesitate to use our comment section below.